After a month, Russian troops handed back the authority of the Chernobyl nuclear power plant to Ukraine. The troops left the highly contaminated site early on Monday, Kyiv told IAEF. Russians have been holding the nuclear plant since February 24, and now they have returned the plan to Ukraine, confirmed by IAEF. The agency was skeptical about the radiation causes faced by Russian troops. They also confirmed the mobility of the Russian moved convoys towards Belarus and Slavutych.
The Ukrainian authority stated, “There are still some Russian forces on the Chernobyl NPP site but presumed that those forces are preparing to leave.”
The U.S intelligence supported their statement, “We have seen indications that some Russian forces are departing the Chernobyl plant facility. We gather that they are leaving to the north to go back again towards Belarus. But again, indications are not completely clear at this time.”
Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelenskyy said stepping back from the north to the center by Russian troops is one of their military tactics for a powerful attack in the southeast.
“We know their intentions,” he said in his latest video address to the Ukrainian people. “We know that they are moving away from those areas where we hit them to focus on other, very important ones where it may be difficult for us. There will be battles ahead.”
NATO secretary-general Jens Stoltenberg also agreed with his statement. He believes the troop is regrouping and reinforcing rather than withdrawing.
“Russia has repeatedly lied about its intentions. We can expect additional offensive actions bringing even more suffering,” Stoltenberg said.
Meanwhile, the Russian troops agreed to a limited cease-fire in a particular area in another offer to evacuate people from the besieged port city to Mariupol in a convoy of 45 buses headed.
But to their expectation, the military blocked the buses, and less than 700 people have left the city in private cars, based on Ukrainian government reports. Twelve buses were delivered around 14 tons of food and medical supplies to Mariupol until the Russian military halted the aid, confirmed by deputy prime minister Iryna Vereshchuk on Thursday.
Mariupol City has been the scene of nightmares of war. Through humanitarian corridors, tens of thousands have escaped from the area. The population had also been reduced by last week while the Russian military impeded other relief efforts.
The agency did not confirm the radiation exposure till now. Thus, unable to predict how many were affected. Russian troops’ invasion of the nuclear plant raised fears among Ukrainians that they would cause damage or disruption that would lead to widespread radiation.
Apart from these, earlier this week, Russian troops confirmed the significant scale back from Kyiv and the northern city of Chernihiv to increase trust between the two parties and pave the way for negotiation.
Russian authorities did not pass any immediate comment irrespective of these cases, while the rising death rate and demolishing scenario drive Ukrainians to be skeptical of each step of Russian troops. Let’s hope for peace for both nations.